Book of the Screen
|Welcome! My name is Gilda Tabarez. I am an avid fan of silent films. I have been watching silent films since I was a small child. My father used to take me to silent film revivals at the now- defunct Avenue Theatre here in San Francisco during the late sixties through to the early eighties. There I enjoyed a great many silent films accompanied by the magnificent Wurlitzer pipe organ. That wonderful theatre is now closed, probably forever, but I will never forget the beauty and magic of the silents which I experienced there. The purpose of this Web site is to share with you some articles and links about silent films, in the hope that you will come to appreciate silent cinema as I do.|
Search the content of this site:
Gilda's Other Sites
Silent Film Links
- Conrad Veidt Society -- an excellent new site about Conrad Veidt and German silents by R. Peter Stens.
- 100 Years of Hollywood and the Stars -- film historian William M. Drew's new website.
- Looking for Mabel Normand / Madcap Mabel Normand -- the undisputed "Queen of Comedy".
- "Hiroshi Shimizu - Silent Master of the Japanese Ethos" by William M. Drew
- Remember Vilma Banky? -- The Hungarian Rhapsody!
- Gareth Hughes--the Welsh film star who became a star for God.
- Carl de Vogt -- very well-researched site about a major German actor.
- The Norma Talmadge Website -- one of the greatest actresses of her time!
- Tribute to Betty Bronson -- the charming actress who played Peter Pan.
- A Sense of the Twenties - Fascinating look at life during the Roaring Twenties.
- The Virginia Lee Corbin Scrapbook -- "The Dresden Doll of the Movies".
- Silent Film Society of Atlanta Q&A
- Welcome to Silent Movies
- Silents Are Golden - All about the greatest era in cinema history!
- Dolores Costello Barrymore -- Goddess of the Silent Screen.
- The Clara Bow Home Page -- Bill has the best Bow site on the Web!
- The International Buster Keaton Society
- The Lon Chaney Home Page -- the first and best site devoted to the Man of a Thousand Faces!
- Peter Herzog, author of books about Brigitte Helm and Lya de Putti
- The Silent Western -- very well researched.
- Ruan Lingyu: The Greta Garbo of China
- Asta Nielsen -- Women Film Pioneers
Other favorite sites:
Favorite silent film book:
|Silent Films, 1877-1996 : A Critical Guide to 646 Movies by Robert K. Klepper|
Favorite theater organ and organist:
Alex Santos (1918-2011) at the Wurlitzer pipe organ, San Francisco.
This site is dedicated to the memory of
Robert K. Klepper
a remarkable man and a gifted writer . He was a champion
of silent film preservation and presentation. I will always
be very grateful for his kindness and for the several articles
he graciously contributed to this website. He is sorely missed.
Thank you for visiting!